Monday, October 1, 2012

Spring Break, Grampy’s Birthday and a Milestone

This year for Spring Break we spent most of the week organizing and cleaning.  I’d been wanting to move Libby out of her crib for some time and since we had a few days at home with the kids we put lots of time into organizing and cleaning.  (I’ll post before and after pics later).

My kids love Legos.  They have too many as far as I’m concerned and we keep them all in one big bin which is a mess when they dump them all out to play.  To get the kids in on the organizing we had them sort through all of the Legos and sort them by size, type and shape.  Then we put them into a plastic drawer organizer.  They couldn’t believe how much fun it was to play with them now that they were organized.  IMG_1250

 

IMG_1254

We were lucky enough to be able to go to Disneyland that week as well but Chris was out of town and could not go with us.  For the first time ever I braved Disneyland alone with all 4 kids!  It was surprisingly not that difficult.  The only trouble we had was that Libby is not tall enough to go on some of the rides that the other kids wanted to go on.  We had to be creative.  I did find out that as long as a child is 8 they can go on a ride with a sibling who is at least that age.  So Maddie and Carter went on Star Tours while I took Libby and Sawyer on Autopia (which we couldn’t all go on because Maddie is not tall enough to drive her own car and we couldn’t all fit in one car.)  I was a little worried leaving them in line for a ride not having cell phones to connect but I told them to wait for me at the exit and it worked out perfectly.  When we headed over to California Adventure, Maddie stayed with Libby, where I could see her, while I rode the Silly Symphony swings with the boys.

IMG_1284

IMG_1293

IMG_1290

IMG_1279

IMG_1318

Another challenge we had was that Sawyer was finally tall enough to ride the Grizzly River Run and had been begging to go on it all winter but it was always too cold.  He had a little card they had given him that he could use as a fast pass when he was tall enough.  He was so excited to go but we couldn’t because Libby wasn’t tall enough.  He couldn’t go with Maddie and Carter because he’s under 8.  So I hatched a plan.  Since his card gets 6 people in the fast pass line I’d find some nice people waiting in the regular line and ask them if they’d go on the ride with my kids in turn for getting in the fast pass line.  It took a few minutes to find someone who wasn’t part of a larger group but I found a darling couple who were college students.  They were so sweet and were totally up for my plan.  I felt pretty safe since the kids would be in line the entire time and Maddie would be with them (she’s as responsible as a 20 year old).  I waited at the exit and 15 minutes later they were off the ride.  Success!  The smile on Sawyer’s face was priceless!  Overall our day at Disney with one parent was great!  It worked out well and we got creative.  It will be nice when Maddie is older and Libby is taller. 

Later that week was Grampy’s birthday.  We have a tradition of going to visit Grampy in his classroom at Arcadia High.  The kids love it and the students think it is so cute.  It always seems to fall on Spring Break week which works out great!

IMG_1332

IMG_1331

Grammy brings a great big cake and everyone gets a piece, even Libby.

IMG_1329

 

Later that week I had to drive to Fresno to work and I drove Chris’ car which used to be my car before we got the mini van.  It is a ‘97 Honda Accord and its been a very reliable car over the years.  It keeps on ticking and we keep on crossing our fingers since we have no car payments and would like to keep it that way!  Anyhow, our beloved car reached a big milestone and since Chris wasn’t with me to see it I snapped a picture.  300,000 miles!  Pretty sweet! 

IMG_1355

Just a little plug for my hubby, he works so hard and earns a car allowance every month so we could easily justify getting a nice car for him but he sacrifices for our family so we can take home that extra money and drives our old Accord to work.  It is the ugliest car in the parking lot but it drives and he keeps it clean.  Now that’s a man! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, I really, REALLY want to see pics of how you organized your legos. We have tried a few times, unsuccessfully. More pictures, please!