Monday, October 22, 2012

August 2012


August was a busy month as we wound down our Summer and started a new school year.  The Herrera’s were in town until the middle of August so it was fun to be able to hang out with cousins on the weekends and after school. 
More Cousin Fun
Grampy treated all the kids to yogurt one day which was a nice treat!
IMG_2867
The kids were fascinated watching the Olympics and wanted to have their own makeshift Olympic event so they planned a Triathlon for all the cousins.  They started with a swim in our community pool, then a bike/scooter ride around the complex followed with a run around the block.  They had a blast and loved being together.  We made little medals for them that had awards like, “Most dedicated”, “Best Scooter rider”, and “Best Swimmer” so each kid got awarded for something. 
August 2012

Griffith Observatory
A few days before school started we took all the kids to the Griffith Observatory.  I had never been there and was very impressed with what an amazing place it is.  I was surprised to learn that there was no charge to visit the observatory which had many neat displays and interesting exhibits.  We did have to pay to watch the show in the Planetarium which was well worth the few dollars it cost. 
DSC06545
One of the coolest things about the Observatory is the amazing view.  It has a perfect view of the Hollywood sign as well as an amazing view of the entire LA area. 
DSC06544
What a great day it was.  We will definitely be back!  I hear the sunsets are gorgeous.
IMG_2888
Heather and I had talked about trying to find a great taco stand in LA while we were in the area and we had both remembered seeing one talked about on Oprah several years ago.  The name of the place was Yuca’s.  We looked it up and with our good luck it was literally a mile from the Griffith park Observatory entrance.  We stopped there on our way home and  it did not disappoint! 
IMG_2892

Grandpa Ed’s retirement party
Chris’ Dad retired from teaching the summer of 2012 and he and his siblings threw a surprise retirement party for him.  They invited several of his friends and he was very surprised.  Each of his children said some nice words about their dad and he was very touched.  It was a wonderful evening.  I always enjoy being with Chris’ family as they are so much fun and its always a party!
IMG_2913
IMG_2934

Back to School Fashion Show
The night before school starts we have a fun tradition that started when Maddie was in 1st grade.  It started out with Maddie modeling her school clothes for Daddy and then the next year we invited Grammy and Grampy to join us.  We’ve done it every year without fail and the kids get really into it.  This year the Herrera’s came over to watch as well. 
August 20121
August 20122

August 20123
Since Sawyer was starting Kindergarten we read the book, “The Night Before Kindergarten” before he went to bed. 
IMG_2984
The First Day of School
The kids were ready to go back to school on August 6.  I was probably more ready than they were!  We started our morning with waffles and strawberries. 
IMG_2985
I had them pose just before getting in the car.  I can’t believe I have 3 kids in school now! 
IMG_2988
After quickly dropping off Maddie and Carter we went to Sawyer’s Kindergarten orientation.  His teacher, Mrs. Bautz was so excited to meet him and gave him a great big hug. She even hugged Chris and I!  What a loving Kindergarten teacher she is. 
IMG_2990
Sawyer doing his first classwork assignment, cutting out his foot prints. 
IMG_2991
When it was time for the parents to leave I was a little sad and discreetly shed a few tears but I tried to keep it in.  He was excited and ready for this day.
IMG_2994
It was so weird going home with Libby and leaving him at school even if it was less than 4 hours.  I was excited when noon rolled around and I got to go pick him up.  He was all smiles coming out of the front door.  What a great first day it was!  It was great getting to spend some time with him before the big kids got home a little later that day. 
IMG_2998
Check out the weather for these poor kids first week of school!  I guess that is what we get when we start school the first week in August. 
IMG_3003

Beverly Hills
Later that week I had a training scheduled in Beverly Hills.  Heather and Cisco were still in town so I suggested that they come with me and drop me off, and while I worked they could hang out in Beverly Hills.  They jumped on the idea and drove me to work.  After my training was over I hung out with them and we went to dinner.  It was fun hanging out with my sister. We even had a star sighting, we saw Troy’s dad from High school musical in the Sprinkles store.  Davis of all people is the one who recognized him. 
IMG_3010
We all got a kick out of the Cupcake ATM where you can get cupcakes 24 hours a day!  It is a real working ATM where you can buy perfectly packaged cupcakes outside the Sprinkles store.  These cupcakes are the real deal and did not disappoint!
IMG_3018
Kallie, Collin and Davis enjoyed eating their fancy cupcakes!
IMG_3024

California Science Center
We had one last fun day while the Herrera’s were in town at the California Science Center which is right next to the LA Coliseum and USC.  We had such a fun time exploring and I was so pleased to discover that like the Griffith Observatory there is no charge to go there!  It was fascinating and I can’t wait to go back.
IMG_3045
IMG_3042
IMG_3060
IMG_3064

Disneyland
Its no secret that I spend a lot of time at Disneyland.  Doing mystery shops I usually go at least once a month while the kids are at school.  Since we don’t all have annual passes we don’t get to go as a family very often. We try to have Chris take the day off and go as a family a handful of times a year.  At the end of August we spent a day at Disneyland and had a blast. 
IMG_3127
We started our morning at Goofy’s kitchen where Libby loved being with several of the princesses but was terrified of the characters in full costume.  She is my only child who has done that.  I have yet to get a picture of her with Minnie or Mickey.  I’m hoping she gets over this soon. 
IMG_3135
IMG_3143
IMG_3141
I didn’t take that many pictures that day but I always manage to get a carousel shot.  I think I have a gazillion pictures of my kids on the carousel, my favorite spot and ride!  (probably because the line is the fastest)
IMG_3174

No comments: