If you know me very well you know I am not a runner. I mean I wasn’t a runner, until now. You see when I was in Elementary school and Jr. high I hated P.E. I would always walk laps and when I was forced to run I was the slowest person out there and complaining the whole way. When I got to high school and was a cheerleader, I was grateful the only time I ever had to run was when I ran 50 yards to the Goal Posts when our team got a touch down. In college I tried running a few times since it appeared it was the thing to do but it never really stuck.
I’m not sure why or what changed in me but I started to have the desire to run in December of 2011. In October, I had just watched Chris finish his first Marathon and let me tell you watching the finish line at a marathon is pretty darn inspiring. You want to get inspired to do something, that’ll do it. I thought to myself, I want to do this, I want to run.
It wasn’t easy at first. Up to that point I hadn’t run much more than a mile or two at a time and that was with lots of walking. In January I set a goal to run a half marathon. I started running several times a week and worked my way up from there. On Saturdays I’d do a longer run. I remember the first time I ran 6 miles without stopping. I thought, “I’m officially a runner” and I was so proud of myself. The feeling I got from running was addicting. I loved it and it made me feel unstoppable. (Even though I was pretty slow!) I told my friend Laurie Stacey, who is a marathon runner, and she said she would run the half marathon with me.
Training did not come without pain. I suffered from shin splints most of the time, usually after about a mile of running the pain would subside. The first time I ran 10 miles I felt so empowered. I’ll never forget the feeling of accomplishment I had.
The day of the Half Marathon came soon enough. On June 2, Chris and I picked up Laurie and headed to the finish line of the Fontana Half Marathon. We loaded up on buses and headed up to the start line. As we rode the bus I was so nervous and kept thinking, I can’t believe I’m doing this.
Looking at the finish line before the race
The first 6 miles were downhill so it was pretty easy and I felt really good. I had Laurie and Chris with me the whole way and they were so supportive. When we got to the end of the race I could see the balloons at the finish line from almost 3 miles away. The last 3 miles were tough. I had never run more than 10 miles and I felt like I’d hit a wall. Chris and Laurie pushed me and kept telling me I could do it. The last 50 yards I could see my kids and they were so excited for me. It made me want to finish strong. I was so relieved it was over but felt nauseous afterward.
I told Chris and Laurie that I’d never to it again those last few miles but by the following week I was already thinking about running another half marathon. Running is addicting and I love it! I hope it is something I can enjoy for a long time!
No comments:
Post a Comment