We had a busy Thanksgiving week! Maddie's Birthday was on Tuesday and we spent the day at Disneyland. The next day I went to work and Chris took care of the kids. When I got home it was a mad dash to get ready. Chris wanted to leave at 11 at night so the kids would sleep the whole way there. I thought he was crazy but I went a long with it. So when I got home from work, he went to sleep for about 5 hours so he could drive while I slept. While he slept I got everything packed and kept the kids pretty occupied. I think they woke him up a couple of times. The kids were all ready for bed when we left, Jammies and all! They fell asleep within one hour of driving! I slept pretty well too. I only woke up 3 or 4 times the whole way! Chris' idea really worked and the kids were amazing. We pulled into Provo at 8 in the morning and luckily the hotel let us check in early so we could get ready and stuff! It was perfect! We'll definitely do this again when we travel. Chris was a little groggy the next day but he was a great sport.
We arrived on Thanksgiving day and visited with Chris and Amanda that morning in their cute apartment. They already had their tree up so the kids were excited about that. Sawyer kept on taking the ornaments off. We spent the morning looking at the paper at the ads for Black Friday.
We had a very untraditional Thanksgiving feast but it was pretty good considering. Amanda and I didn't want to cook all day and have all of us eat in their small apartment. It would have been crazy! So we went to Mimi's for Turkey and all! The food tasted good, but wasn't very hot and we felt sort of like we were eating in a cafeteria the way the banquet tables were back to back and we felt like cattle as we were "herded" to our table, ordering, etc. but that is to be expected with the number of people there. So all in all it was good! After dinner we headed off to see Enchanted at the Provo Towne Center. Aparently the rest of Provo had the same idea! The theatre accidentally oversold the movie by 50 seats! Luckily we got there early enough to sit in the front row! It wasn't too bad though and we enjoyed the movie. My brother Chris was pretty mad at some guy who was saving 20 seats and the people didn't arrive until the show had started. That is Provo for you! The kids enjoyed the movie and Sawyer fell asleep so I could watch too!
The next day I got up pretty early, not as early as all the other die hard shoppers apparently! I got to Target at 6:00 am and the parking lot was already full and people were scrambling to find shopping carts! It was a mad house in there! I got a couple of the items I was hoping for but there was one item in particular that was already gone. Luckily Chris got up the next morning and they had it! It was fun starting my Christmas shopping and getting in the spirit!
We went up to Salt Lake that evening and saw the Christmas lights at temple square which was beautiful! It was sooooo cold and the kids just aren't used to that. I don't think I bundled them up enough! We survived though.
The next day, Saturday was the big game! I hadn't been to a BYU game at home since I was a student! So I was pretty excited to go! Best of all- our friends, the Guest's, had offered to watch our kids while we were at the game! The most entertaining part of the game was watching my bro Chris! He was ready to cry at one point and then within a split second he was jumping up and down like a crazy guy razzing the Utah fans! It was a good game and I had a great time. I am so glad BYU won!!!
That night Chris and Amanda fed us dinner at their house and we had a great time.
The next morning we really weren't in too big of a hurry to get home although we should have been. We didn't realize what the traffic would be like. We left around 9 or 10 am and we traveled along pretty well but as soon as we got to Vegas it was pure gridlock all the way to Barstow! The drive from Vegas to Rancho Cucamonga is usually about 3 hours, it took us 8 hours! Chris drove, I couldn't handle the stress of the traffic! The kids were surprisingly very good and kept busy watching movies and playing leapster. They had to go to the bathroom several times and we learned the hard way that you don't get off the freeway. We got off at Primm to use the restroom and get snacks. The whole area was packed like a parking lot. It took an entire hour just to get back on the freeway. Later when Carter had to go to the bathroom we had him pee in an Icee cup! (which actually worked very well for a boy!) We stopped at a rest stop for Maddie and I to use the restroom and the line had 20 women in it!
By the time we got home we felt like we had been through a war or a marathon or something!!!
Chris was a great sport, he didn't get antsy at all! We'll never travel on the Sunday after Thanksgiving again!
All in all we had a great time in Utah. Thanks Chris and Amanda for showing us a great time!
Here are some pictures of our trip:
Temple Square in front of the beautiful tree of lights!
Carter with Chris and Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment