Monday, June 25, 2012

Science Fair

One of my fondest elementary school memories is participating in the Science Fair.  My dad is a science teacher and would help us create the coolest science projects around.  We’d always place and out projects were always a hit!  This year both my kids participated and Maddie even got 2nd place for her grade. Carter was bummed he didn’t place but there were tons of 2nd graders who participated and not nearly as many 5th graders so she had a better chance.

IMG_1060

Maddie’s project was one that I did in 5th grade!  The project was about sound travel and how sound cannot travel without a medium such as air.  My dad got the air compressor for us from school so we could do the project.  The air compressor removes all the air from the glass dome and the alarm clock no longer can be heard. 

IMG_1063

Carter also did one of my old projects.  I did this one in second grade as well!  The project is about buoyancy and you place raisins in 7-up an watch the bubbles attach to the raisins, then they rise to the top and pop, then the raisin drops back down.  I had a cool pink California Raisin shirt I wore.  (Remember the raisin commercials?  They were cool!)  Carter had fun doing the project and enjoyed learning about buoyancy.

Thanks Dad for helping the kids with their projects.  I’m sure we’ll be hitting you up next year for ideas!

No comments: