Thursday, August 12, 2010

First day of School 2010

On Friday before school started (not long after getting home from our trip to Palm Desert) we went over to the school to see the kids teachers. The kids both seemed very happy with who they got. Maddie also enjoyed seeing some of her friends at the school and finding out who everyone had.

Our school starts incredibly early compared to the rest of California. No we are not on year round school we just start early and end early (before Memorial Day which is kinda nice) Anyhow it does feel kinda weird to be in school when the rest of the country (or what seems like) is still in Summer.

Needless to say, we had a long Summer and the kids and I were certainly ready for school to start. Our new school year began early Monday morning at 6:00 am when the kids awoke very excited for what the day would bring. Maddie had her clothes all ready set out.

The kids got ready, and I even got showered and ready too! (I know crazy huh? Probably the only day all year I don't drop them off wearing PJ's) Chris went into work very early that day so he was able to come home and join me in taking the kids to their new classes.
Here are the big 1st grader and 4th grader ready for a great day.


Aren't they just adorable! They are growing up too fast (sniff sniff..)



(Chris would have you admire his freshly cut grass)
We got there early at 7:30 am and the school was already bustling with parents. We dropped off Carter first. He was excited to be in the big kid classrooms and to have his own desk.


His teacher this year is Ms. Aleman. She was very nice to pose for a picture. Carter has had a hard time adjusting to a longer school day, and I feel a little bad for him.

We said goodbye to Carter (no tears this time) and went over to the big kid side of campus to Maddie's Fourth grade classroom. She has a male teacher, Mr. Lawrence whom she is very fond of and seems like he's gonna be great. We noticed a stark contrast from dropping Carter off to dropping Maddie off. With Maddie there was no pose with the teacher, or dramatic send off. The teacher was talking to the students and had them sit down and didn't really acknowledge the parents. There were only two parents there. The desks were piled high with 5 huge textbooks and there were so many desks 33 to be exact! Carter's classroom only has 18 students, BIG difference.
Just in the first few days we've noticed that fourth grade is going to be a lot different than 3rd. Maddie has a planner and homework every night in just about every subject. She has to bring her textbooks home and it just seems like she's given a lot more responsibility which she is gladly receiving. It makes me a little sad to see my little girl grow up, just in the past week I feel like she's no longer a little girl. When we talk she understands more about the adult world I live in. I can see how I'm going to like having a buddy like her around while I'm cooking dinner or taking care of little ones. She's had to grow up a lot in the last 6 months since Libby has joined our family as I've given her much more responsibility and that has also made her mature.

I'm so proud of my Maddie and I'm starting to feel kinda old with a fourth grader! (My own memories of fourth grade are not so distant)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Chris and I went to Coco's for breakfast after to celebrate!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

B-Rad said...

Your grass does look nice. Nicely cut and very green. Great job to Chris.

Wes & Kristy said...

Uh, Katie, how many parents did you say were at Maddie's class?

Wes