Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Potty Diaries- Chapter 2- Survival



So as you may have read in my previous post, I started potty training Sawyer yesterday. I didn't post yesterday because it was such a crazy day. Maddie and Carter had no school yesterday and Maddie doesn't have school today either. I felt bad because it would have been nice to do something fun during the day but nope, we're on lock down here at the Nielsen residence!

Yesterday was just awful! Sawyer would sit on the toilet for 20-30 minutes and do nothing. I'd sit there and read books and try to get him to go but nothing would happen. Then he'd get off and a couple of minutes later he would pee in his underpants and on my carpet, floor or couch! I was so frustrated and I ended up losing my cool, and getting really mad at him a couple of times. After I'd calmed down, and cleaned up the mess, I reminded myself that I just need to accept the fact that my carpet and couch are going to get peed and pooped on until this kid gets potty trained, it is just part of the process. After 8 pairs of underwear had been soiled, Sawyer woke up from his nap (with a dry diaper!) and went on the potty and finally peed! I was so excited, I felt like maybe this would work, maybe I could potty train a 2 year old! He had only one success yesterday, but it was better than none! I think the process is going to take longer than several days and I may have to put a diaper back on for things like church and when I go to other peoples houses.

By the time 6 o' clock rolled around, I was exhausted and we had planned on going to High School Musical 3 with the kids and my Mom. So we had Grampy come over and put Sawyer to bed while we all went to the movie. I was relieved the day was over!

When I woke up this morning I felt more positive about the whole potty training thing. I am pretty proud of myself, I haven't even gotten really upset or cried today! So far today he's had 2 accidents and has gone on the potty 1 time. He's taking a nap now so we'll see how he does the rest of the day. Earlier I was feeling like maybe he just isn't ready for this because he still hadn't gone and I felt like he was genuinely trying to go but couldn't for some reason. Well Maddie has been very helpful and excited for Sawyer to be a "big boy" so all on her own said, "Sawyer, you want to go potty?" and took him to the toilet, put him on and started reading books to him. Within a couple of minutes, she starts screaming with delight, "He did it mom, he went pee! Yeah Sawyer!" I was so excited and grateful for my little helper! I'll definitely have her try to get him to go again. Makes me wonder why he went for her and not me, maybe he is being defiant with me for some reason. The past two days have been survival mode, I really hope I don't give up, I have been tempted though. The fact that I'm blogging about it sure motivates me to keep trying!

1 comment:

Misty said...

oh the woes of potty-training (love the potty train btw) Don't let me forget to tell you about our CSI-Poop story. I should blog about it.... GOod luck, Katie. He's super cute in his pull-ups!