Monday, October 20, 2008

Yes on 8!



Here in California we have been working very hard for the Yes on 8 campaign. It has been pretty exciting to be part of something so big and to be able to stand up for what is right. Our prophet has asked us to do all we can to get this proposition passed so that only Marriage between a man and a woman will be recognized in California. Many say that we are teaching our children to hate and not being tolerant. They fail to look beyond the surface. This isn't about equal rights as Gays and Lesbians already have the same civil rights as married couples in our state. It is about forcing us to accept and embrace their lifestyle. If this passes our children will be taught about Gay marriage in our schools, the opposition says it has nothing to do with schools but it is already happening in Massachusetts where Gay marriage is legal. There will be law suits and churches can be sued if they don't agree to marry a same sex couple. The line has to be drawn somewhere for the sake of our families. It is so sad that we have to explain to our young children what this is all about, but it is so important that they understand we are standing tall and standing up for what we believe in.

On Saturday I took the kids up to the street corner near our home to wave our "Yes on 8" signs (Along with many other ward members). What a wonderful experience to be like Captain Moroni and stand for what we believe in. Our kids loved it and chanted "YES on 8" Many people honked and cheered for us but there were some who had unkind things to say which was hard. One woman looked right at me and said, "You are teaching your children Hatred". That was hard but I have to remember that the adversary is working very hard against us. Those who disagreed did not do so kindly they had a vengeance and anger about them. Maddie kept a notepad with her and counted all the honks for yes votes and the people screaming (or flipping us off) as a no vote. (She took a tally for about 20 minutes and got bored) Here is her tally, I thought it was cute.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Last Wednesday, I stood on the corner waving the yes sign and got 30 honks and one "you're teaching your kids to HATE!" That was hard. He was real nasty. I wanted to say something like, "go stand on the opposite corner then and wave your no sign. I'm not teaching my kids how to hate, I'm showing them how I can practice my 1st ammendment rights because we all know that did pass."

HJH said...

I am so glad that you are standing up for what you believe in! I wish, too, that those who oppose this would understand that we are not biggots, but standing up for a sacred institution we hold dear! How cute of Maddie to keep a tally of the yes and no on 8.