Saturday, August 3, 2013

Wrapping up Summer 2013

Summer seemed to go by in a flash and before we knew it,school was just around the corner.  Our schools kind of have a weird Summer schedule compared to most of Southern California.  We get out around May 21 and return to school on August 5th.  I actually really enjoy it because the kids get out of school early, so we can take vacations before the rush and the prices are always lower.  We go back to school when the kids are bored and I’m ready to get them back to a routine.  It is hot when we go back but the kids manage!  Here are some things we did in the final weeks before school started.
Junior High School Here She Comes…
Maddie got to register for Junior High.  We walked around the campus and got her books, P.E. clothes and ID card.  It feels so weird having a child old enough to be in 7th grade.  I couldn’t be more proud of her!  She has blossomed into an amazing young woman.  
IMG_2518
Pool Days
We made sure to spend a few days at the pool and really soak up the sun. 
IMG_2551
Running Men
We amped up our running in preparation for the St. George Marathon.  Sawyer even went for a run with Carter and I and lasted 6 miles!  What a trooper!  I love that my kids are not afraid to run long distances.  It helps them learn that they can accomplish goals that seem impossible.  Just one step at a time! 
IMG_2562
Fun Times with Old Friends
My dear friend Carrie Warnick came down to So Cal for her sister, Valerie’s wedding.  We got together at the beach one day with Tiffany, Megan, Carrie and Laurie with all of our kids.   It was so much fun to see everyone and the day went by way too fast.  I didn’t take any pictures except this one of Libby!
IMG_2432
Carrie’s sister, Valerie,  asked me to do her bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres.  I haven’t done flowers in years and had so much fun doing them.  Valerie married Megan’s brother Evan Finlay so Megan and her sister-in-law Annie, did all the centerpieces and  large arrangements.  We all went to the LA flower mart together and had so much fun picking out all the flowers.  The colors were awesome and they turned out beautiful!  
IMG_2475
Making corsages and boutonnieres for the Reeves and Finlay family turned out to be quite a task.  Luckily my mom came over to help me out otherwise I would have never finished!  We had a lot of fun! 
IMG_2478
The wedding reception was held on the grass area behind the Ward building in Duarte where I grew up going to church.  It was so much fun being there and seeing so many people I hadn’t seen in years.  It was like a great family reunion.  I did get a picture with my friends; Carrie, Megan, Christine and Tiffany.  We went through so much together!   Such wonderful memories that I will never forget.  It was great to be together again!
IMG_2487
California Science Center
I felt like we didn’t do a whole lot this Summer so I crammed some fun things in right in the last week of Summer.  I took the kids to the California Science Center which is one of their favorite places to visit.  We’ve been several times now but hadn’t seen the new Endeavor shuttle they  have there.  I love the Science Center because it is FREE!  The Endeavor visit costs a couple dollars and they usually have a traveling exhibit that costs money but the rest of the museum is completely free!  It is a great place and there are some really neat exhibits.  Its is too big to see all in one day!  The kids had a blast and really enjoyed seeing the shuttle.  What was most fascinating to me, is the film that shows how they got the shuttle from LAX airport to the museum.  What an undertaking!  Here are some photos of our visit…
IMG_4889
IMG_4912
IMG_4931
IMG_4953
IMG_4955
IMG_4960
IMG_4947
IMG_4982
IMG_4974

Splash Kingdom
On the Friday before school started, Chris met us at Splash Kingdom in Redlands for a fun evening.  The kids loved it and it was the perfect way to wrap up our Summer.  
IMG_2582
IMG_2580
Sawyer and Carter were little daredevils and went on every slide.  They loved it and kept going back for more!  Carter and Chris went down a big one in a double tube and they fell completely off of the tube!  They had a blast and can’t wait to go back next Summer. 

No comments: