Friday, August 21, 2009

The Potty Diaries- Final Chapter


After several attempts at potty training over the past 9 months I decided it was time and Sawyer was ready. We had taken Summer off with the kids being home and I kept telling Sawyer that we would start again as soon as the kids went back to school. He was excited when we would talk about it, that he would soon be wearing underwear just like Maddie and Carter. So last Thursday, the day came when I had a small window of days where I didn't have to be anywhere and I could just focus on him. In the morning we woke up and I told him today was the day (we'd been building it up the past few weeks). He insisted he wasn't ready and that he wanted to wait. I made a little picture of a train and had stickers for him. We packed up all the diapers and put them in ziplock bags and saved them for the baby. This was a big deal that he was giving his diapers to the baby and now he was a big boy.

So the first two times he went in his pants, I was frustrated and ready to give up. I even got a little mad when he peed his pants right in front of the toilet. I gave myself a little pep talk and put my game face on. This had to be done, after all he was turning 3 in a few weeks and not only that, I have never been without a kid in diapers since Maddie was born almost 8 years ago. That thought alone helped me push through my frustrations. Suddenly Sawyer started catching on and went on the potty several more times. I couldn't believe it could this be it? After Carter got home we decided to venture out to Target. I thought if we took him to buy some new undies he would be even more excited. He picked out some cute boxer/briefs and we walked through the diaper aisle and picked out some newborn diapers for the baby. We also bought him a whole box of fruit snacks and I told him, each time he went potty he would get one. (I know a lot of sugar but it worked!)

It just kept getting better from there and that night we decided to let him sleep in his underwear since he knew all his diapers were gone. He did not have any desire to go back to diapers, it was like they were evil! He woke up dry! The next day he had only one accident and even started going on his own without my help, he even preferred that. From then on he has had no accidents, and has not seen another diaper! After a couple of days I thought, "could this be a fluke, is my son really potty trained?" After training Maddie and Carter this was a totally new experience for me and I couldn't believe how fast and easily he caught on. He's actually younger than both of them were when they finally mastered the skill.

A week has past and he is completely trained. He goes on his own and doesn't even want help! In fact when I ask if he needs to go he refuses, it has to be his idea. We even went to Disneyland and didn't even bring a spare pare of undies, I know I'm crazy but that's how well he was doing.

This has been such a huge relief and a blessing but I think I deserve it after he went through his fascination with poop stage.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rami Rachel said...

Thats so awesome. I wish I could be there already with Blake. At least you'll have a lil bit to be without diapers before the new baby comes.