Carter is going to school for the very first time. He was so excited and has been anticipating this day all Summer long. We even made a paper chain and he removed a link every day. Well the big day finally arrived.
We got up bright and early, put the kids in their favorite new school outfit, ate waffles for breakfast, and drove over to the school.
It was crowded and we had to park really far away, I think every single child was accompanied by his/her parents. We dropped Maddie off first. She is now a BIG third grader. She is so excited to be in such a big grade. Her teacher is Ms. Chiever.
She walked right in and smiled and made herself right at home. She was happy to find a good friend of hers sitting right next to her desk. We said goodbye and headed to the Kindergarten room.
It was filled with parents and confused but excited little 5 year olds. They had the kids go outside to play while they had an orientation for the parents and then we all went outside and watched the kids play. I was able to snap a picture with his teacher Ms. Maloney.
After a few minutes it was time for the kids to go in the classroom and the parents to say their goodbyes. I was getting a little emotional but I tried to hold back the tears. Carter gave me a hug and assured me he'd be okay riding the school bus home (deep down I wanted him to say, "Mommy I want you to come pick me up!") He smiled and waved one last time.
Sawyer was not a happy boy, he cried and threw a little tantrum. He said, "I want my brother, I want my Carter!" We had been talking about this all Summer how he'd get to stay home with Mommy all by himself while Carter would go to school with Maddie. No matter how much we prepared him for the big day, he wasn't ready to give up his time with his buddy.
As we walked back through the office and to the car I was in tears. My baby boy is all grown up now. This is the beginning of him becoming his own person, someday he'll leave me and go off to college, then he'll leave me and go an a mission and eventually he'll be some lucky girl's husband. I know I sound ridiculous, but I'm pregnant so I have a good excuse. How am I going to be when my last one goes to Kindergarten?
Chris took us to get some breakfast to make me feel better. As we drove back home I insisted on driving by the school to see if we could catch a glimpse of Carter playing outside. Sure enough, he was riding a little scooter and looked so happy and cute. I was glad that he didn't see us, and it made me happy to see him one more time. When 12 o'clock came Sawyer and I decided to go to 7-11 to get a slurpee and get one for Carter to give him when he gets off the bus. We went up to the bus stop (right in front of our condo) and the bus pulled up. I was so happy to have my little guy home!
An hour or so later we drove over to the school to get Maddie. She was beaming and had a wonderful day. She looked so happy and went on and on about how much she loves her teacher! She can't wait to get some homework. We'll see how long that lasts!
Last night when I tucked Carter in bed he said, "Mommy are you glad I'm in Kindergarten?" I assured him, "Of course I am". Then he said, "I don't want you to be sad, I'll always be your baby." It just made my heart melt.
This morning was a much easier send off!
5 comments:
The first day of school is always so exciting!
I love that Sawyer made you pack him a lunch too. The picture of Sawyer and Carter with their arms around each other with their slurpees is adorable.
I'll never forget the day Bruce went on that kdg. bus. Avery BIG door closed that day. Things were never the same
hi katie! i go on the bus too. I used to, but when ever tyler is not at school, I go on the bus. The kids should go with me and they're safe because tyler is a the front and I can take them.
wow, I'm impressed y'all started so early. We start school next Thursday.
Also, it's always hard for me to say goodbye to my little ones going to kindergarten, but it's first grade that is the hardest because it's longer than 3 hours, and just feels like forever to say goodbye to them from 8am-2:30 pm.
Nathan is thrilled to start kindergarten next week!
Oh, and I love the name Carter. (Funny, because I nearly named Nathan "Davis," and checked with Heather, though I ended up naming him Nathan Davis Wilson.) Would you be ok if I ended up naming my fourth boy Carter?
Also, congrats on another girl!
We have all 3 boys in one bedroom, and will soon have all 4 boys in one bedroom. Crazy, huh!
Post a Comment